Located opposite the railway station, Bognor Regis Picturedrome Cinema (Grade II listed) was originally the new assembly rooms, designed by local architect Arthur Smith and opened in May 1886 at the cost of £4,500. It was used for a variety of purposes, including stage shows, dancing, roller-skating, badminton and community functions. There was a main hall and a minor upstairs hall.
The most prominent feature of the cinema is the octagonal lantern tower, which at one time housed a revolving light, operated by a boy pedalling a bicycle-type mechanism that advertised its presence miles around.
Films were first presented in 1887 when David Devant brought his animatograph to Bognor on 14-16 December. Reputedly, such was the impact of the fire brigade call that it had patrons ducking for cover beneath the chairs in front of them for fear that the galloping horses would descend from the screen and crash down amongst them.
The Picturedrome continues to this day, showing all the latest films.