Attractions in and around Bognor Regis

Search for Attractions in Bognor Regis


Hotham Park Bognor Regis

Hotham Park House

Sir Richard Hotham's house which he built in 1792, stands as a reminder of someone who long ago saw the potential of Bognor Regis because of its location and built on it. The original house is now privately owned and can be seen in Hotham Park. Located just five minutes walk from the town centre and 2 minutes from the beach, Hotham Park in 2008/9 underwent a £2.2 million restoration project to improve facilities. Further work is ongoing.

Regular music and other events take place at the bandstand within the grounds during the summer months. The Hotham Park country fair and the Southdowns music festival in August are a must visit.

Facilities at Hotham Park Include:

  • Boating lake
  • Miniature railway
  • Mediterranean and tropical gardens with specimen trees from around the world.
  • Restaurant café
  • Children''s play area
  • An 18 hole adventure golf course. (New 2018)
  • Pay and display car park

There is no admission fee to the park and only small charges for use of the concessionary facilities.

Jubilee drinking fountain

Jubilee Drinking Fountain

During the 1890’s Bognor Regis visitors were coming into the town from London and other places in the South of England to enjoy the seaside. However one shopkeeper James Hughes, a chemist in West Street, was very concerned that the large number of children who visited the area could not obtain even a drink of water. James’ shop in West Street looked down the length of The Steyne to the seafront promenade, a site he believed would be ideal for a drinking fountain.

As with many new ideas, others did not perceive his suggestion as being of any importance, as many of the council in 1897 were more concerned with the celebrations for Queen Victoria’s sixtieth anniversary as Queen. James Hughes was very keen on his suggestion and started a fund to raise the necessary cash, and at the same time ‘Bodie of Aberdeen’ selected a design.

The fountain cost a staggering £111 and on July 6th 1898 it was unveiled, and became a permanent reminder of Queen Victoria’s jubilee celebrations.

The fountain was moved from its original place on the promenade looking into The Steyne and in 1928 it was removed to the corner of Waterloo Square.

it was decided in 1956 that the corner of Waterloo Square would be more suitable for an entertainment and leisure, so the fountain was dismantled and removed, to Hotham Park, where it lay undisturbed in pieces until 1966.

The Natural Science Society sought its whereabouts and asked for the fountain to be re-erected. Nothing happened until 1968 when builder Mr R J Seymour was looking through his collection of old photographs of Bognor and came across one of the original ceremony, and again called for the re-erection of the fountain.

The public were asked to contribute and a fund of ''sixpences and shillings'' was started. Numerous locations were considered, one of which was in front of Hotham Park House. Another proposed site was in Marine Park Gardens.

Finally, a location was agreed and in January, 1969, all the sections of the fountain were moved to the current resting place, on the promenade end of the Steyne.

The Drinking Fountain stands as a reminder of Victorian times, although today it is disused.

King George V Playing Fields Felpham

King George V Playing Fields Felpham

Covering and area of approximately 13 acres, King George V Playing Fields in Felpham is a popular and valuable resource used by local residents as well as visitors to relax, walk their dogs and exercise.

At some week ends, football matches and practice take place.

Facilities include :

  • Baseball Court
  • Childrens play area - swings / slides
  • Football pitches
  • Tarmac perimeter walkway of some 3/4''s of a mile (1160 metres) in length.

Marine Park Gardens

Marine Park Gardens

The Marine Park Gardens are situated to the West of Bognor Regis in Aldwick and are opposite the beach in Marine Drive West. Within the Marine Park Gardens, there is an 18 hole putting green, plenty of seating and water fountain at the western end of the gardens. During the summer months, the flower beds are full of colour and design. All in all, a great place to relax and take in nature.

Old Rectory gardens Felpham

Old Rectory gardens Felpham

Tucked away in the heart of Felpham Village is Old Rectory Gardens.

About an acre in size, this is an attractive spot with seating and is regularly used by the local residents of Felpham. Located opposite the gardens to the east, is the Fox public House and adjacent to the south is Blake’s Cottage where the poet William Blake once lived.

Pagham Harbour Nature reserve

Pagham Harbour nature reserve

Pagham Nature Reserve is managed by West Sussex County Council in partnership with local landowners and community groups. Pagham Harbour Local Nature Reserve is an internationally important site for nature conservation, featuring plant and animal habitats of global rarity. The Reserve covers 1500 acres, about half of which is salt marsh and mudflats, while the rest comprises farmland, copses, lagoons, reed beds and shingle beaches.

Bird Watching and Wildlife
Pagham Harbour is an internationally important site for birds and wildlife. The main attraction of the Reserve is the bird-watching opportunities. Pagham Nature Reserve provides a home for waders and wildfowl in the autumn and winter. Brent Geese arrive in large numbers between September and January and during the summer months migrants include wheatears, sandwich terns, sand martins and chiffchaffs.

Scenic Walks in Natural Surroundings
Pagham harbour is a place not only to view wildlife but also to take in nature and what is has to offer by walking along the many paths available to take in the natural beauty of this area.

Access to the car park on the eastern side is provided by Harbour Road which is PLEASE NOTE in NEED OF REPAIR. Please understand that this road (observed August 2009) has many pot holes and is VERY uneven. Having said all that, when you get to car park you will find a place of peace and quiet where you can take in the natural surroundings of this unique area.

Telephone: 
01243 641508

Picturedrome Cinema

Bognor Regis Picturedrome Cinema

Located opposite the railway station, Bognor Regis Picturedrome Cinema (Grade II listed) was originally the new assembly rooms, designed by local architect Arthur Smith and opened in May 1886 at the cost of £4,500. It was used for a variety of purposes, including stage shows, dancing, roller-skating, badminton and community functions. There was a main hall and a minor upstairs hall.

The most prominent feature of the cinema is the octagonal lantern tower, which at one time housed a revolving light, operated by a boy pedalling a bicycle-type mechanism that advertised its presence miles around.

Films were first presented in 1887 when David Devant brought his animatograph to Bognor on 14-16 December. Reputedly, such was the impact of the fire brigade call that it had patrons ducking for cover beneath the chairs in front of them for fear that the galloping horses would descend from the screen and crash down amongst them.

The Picturedrome continues to this day, showing all the latest films.

Telephone: 
01243 841015

Back to top